Please note that the Museum cannot guarantee that all our trams will run every Sunday. From time to time we need to take individual cars out of service for maintenance and further restoration.
Ready for another day. Cars 47, 65 and 341 resting in the terminus early one morning
A single truck, California combination car. Built in 1901, this type of car was used in the first electric fleet. This car spent many years on the Edward Street line to the Botanical Gardens. In later years it operated as an advertising tram.
A standard 10 bench car. Twenty eight cars were built between 1907 and 1925. Commonly known as Jumping Jacks or Toast Rack cars because of their pitching action at speed and their seating arrangement. Car No 65 was built by the Brisbane Tramway Company in 1921.
A single truck centre aisle car. Cars 94 to 99 were rebuilt between 1936 and 1945 on the frames of previously withdrawn cars. They were used on the steeply graded Edward Street to Gregory Terrace service.
Built in 1936 this is one of the largest class of trams that ran in Brisbane and were known as drop centre combination cars. They were also known as Drop-centres or droppies. This type of car was an icon in its day, it was The Brisbane Tram.
This was the last design of tram for use in Brisbane. Known as a FM (Four Motor) tram, they were the first cars to be equipped with four motors. All previous cars had two motors. No 429 was built in 1942
This tram was the last to be built and was also the official last car to run on the tram system. No. 554 was one of eight built to partially replace the 65 trams lost in the Paddington depot fire in 1962. It incorporates salvaged bogies and other running gear recovered from the fire. Under the driver's window at each end is a phoenix motif to symbolise the car arising from the ashes of its predecessors and hence this and the other seven trams like 554 are known as "Phoenix" cars.
The Brisbane Tramway Museum Society
ACN 009 793 604